A Family Divided

In January of 2004 I met a guy online who would become not only a relationship partner but a business partner as well. He was an internet DJ who supported me and helped me immensely to become one as well months on down the road, despite my fears and shyness. In September of 2004, roughly two months after becoming regulars in Second Life we scrimped and sacrificed in RL to start a radio station known as RockNGames Radio.
We made tons of friends, many who also went on to become DJ's eventually, played numerous legendary venues and events, and even won awards. Popularity waxed and waned over the years, but we survived new eras, new clubs, new crowds and several server changes.
Though we discovered our relationship was better kept at friendship and though I wstepped down as manager over a year ago, Nog and I still remain close friends and talk often. And while my presence is practically non-existent, RockNGames will always be a part of me. RNG had something very special and unique about it. While other radio stations came and went, DJ's switched stations like their underwear, and drama seemed to abound, RNG was different. It truly was a family...a family who stuck by each other, supported each other and was always helpful to each other.
Sure, we've had DJ's come and go, but we have a longtime core group who has stuck by us through all incarnations...when they need a break, they know they will be welcomed with open arms if/when they are ready to come back. Someone needs a slot for a special event...wish granted. And though our dream was always to somehow be able to compensate the DJ's for all their hard work and time, they understood that it was a struggle for us to even pay that bill each and every month and even stepped up to the plate when times were simply too tough. It didn't matter though...this wasn't a "job", it was family, it was damn fun and nobody was going to let it die.
We've had the rare bad apple come and go, and I admit as manager I did make decisions at times that affected people more than I realized...especially towards the end, and Nog I'm sure will admit his "tone" was a bit harsh at times (on the rare occasions I actually untied him LOL). It's hard, if not impossible, to please all the people all the time. But we did our best.
We had a very lenient, hands-off approach to the station, which was only possible because we worked with such incredible people. Sure we wanted to be big, to be known, and we probably were more so than we even realized. But even a little bit of fame is bound to come with a price at some point or another.
Now I don't honestly know exactly what's been going on to cause dissension in the troops but I am not going to sit back and let y'all, my family, think I don't care. I DO care, and I may not have the answers or the solutions, but I care and it completely tears up my heart to see what's going on.
After four years, it's not just a game...the RNG Family has a bond that should not be torn apart after all this time. Every single DJ has made a CHOICE to be a part of RNG for no compensation other than personal tips. I am proud of our station which is going on FOUR YEARS, but much more I was proud of our FAMILY, both old and new. To those who make the choice to move on, I hold no ill feelings whatsoever, only sadness which I think is understandable. And to those of you cursing me out right now for speaking up when I've been "gone" for so long, I understand. I just want to thank each and every one of you for everything...every shift, every hour, every moment you gave to RNG. The longevity of RNG has outlasted my wildest dreams. No matter where you, go, who you DJ for, please just don't ever stop being family.

~QQ~

0 comments: